Are you ready for a new adventure? Imagine waking up to breathtaking views of the Tucson Mountains and the majestic Saguaro cacti.
Picture yourself living in Drexel Heights, Arizona, a vibrant community nestled in the heart of nature. With its diverse population, affordable cost of living, and close-knit neighborhoods, Drexel Heights is the perfect place to call home.
In this article, we will explore the demographics, cost of living, crime rate, and much more to help you decide if moving to Drexel Heights is the right choice for you.
Get ready to embark on an exciting journey and discover all that this unique Arizona gem has to offer.
- Drexel Heights is an unincorporated community and census-designated place located in Pima County, Arizona.
- The area is named after financier Francis Anthony Drexel and is known for its Saguaro cacti and diverse wildlife.
- The population of Drexel Heights is 27,523, with a majority being Hispanic or Latino.
- Drexel Heights is surrounded by the Tucson Mountains and is located near Tucson Mountain Park and Saguaro National Park.
Drexel Heights, located in Pima County, Arizona, has a diverse population with a racial composition that includes 51.39% White, 28.53% Other race, 12.27% Two or more races, 4.56% Native American, 2.93% Black or African American, and 0.31% Asian residents.
If you’re considering moving to Drexel Heights, you’ll find a community that is representative of different ethnic backgrounds. The area embraces cultural diversity, with the largest non-English speaking group being Spanish speakers, accounting for 51.83% of the population.
The average family size in Drexel Heights is 3.42, and the average household size is 3.12. The community values education, with high rates of high school graduation and bachelor’s degrees.
Whether you’re looking for a multicultural environment or a place that celebrates different cultures, Drexel Heights offers a vibrant and diverse community for you to join.
Cost of Living
To get a clear understanding of the cost of living in Drexel Heights, Arizona, you can compare housing costs, transportation expenses, healthcare costs, and the average annual cost of child care and food.
The median home value in Drexel Heights is $124,200, and 24.40% of homes are rented. The typical renter spends $935 per month on housing.
Transportation costs in Drexel Heights are on par with the national average, with 90.90% of commuters driving to work and an average commute time of 28.8 minutes.
Health care costs for a single adult are $4,978 per year, lower than the national average.
The average annual cost of child care for two children is $15,592, and a single adult spends $3,027 per year on food.
Drexel Heights offers a relatively affordable cost of living compared to national figures.
If you’re concerned about safety, you may want to know that Drexel Heights has a crime rate that is 64% higher than the national average. Here are some key points to consider:
- Drexel Heights is in the 31st percentile for safety, meaning that 69% of cities are safer and 31% of cities are more dangerous.
- The rate of violent crime in Drexel Heights is 3.65 per 1,000 residents during a standard year, which is 77% higher than the national average.
- In Drexel Heights, you have a 1 in 27 chance of becoming a victim of crime, making it safer than only 8% of cities in the United States.
While Drexel Heights may not have the highest crime rate, it is important to consider these statistics when deciding on a place to live. It may be wise to explore safety measures and choose a neighborhood, such as the northwest part of the city, that is considered to be the safest by residents.
When considering the economy in Drexel Heights, it is important to analyze key factors such as job opportunities, industries, and economic growth.
Drexel Heights has experienced a growth in population between 2019 and 2020, indicating a potential increase in demand for goods and services.
The median household income in Drexel Heights is $57,576, which suggests a moderate level of economic prosperity.
While the unemployment rate in Drexel Heights is 6.7% as of 2021, it is essential to note that this figure can fluctuate over time.
It is advisable to research specific industries and job sectors in the area to determine employment prospects.
Additionally, understanding the local economy and identifying potential growth areas can provide valuable insights for individuals considering a move to Drexel Heights.
Education in Drexel Heights, Arizona includes 6 public elementary schools and 1 high school, with some of the top-rated schools being University High School and BASIS Tucson Primary School. In addition, there are about 7 colleges in the area within 40 miles of Drexel Heights, including The University of Arizona, Northern Arizona University, and Pima Community College. These universities offer a range of degree programs and educational opportunities for students. Whether you’re looking for a quality K-12 education or pursuing higher education, Drexel Heights provides options to meet your needs. With top-rated schools and nearby colleges, you can be confident in the education available in this area. Check out the table below for more information on colleges in the Drexel Heights area.
|The University of Arizona||Public|
|Northern Arizona University||Public|
|Pima Community College||Community College|
|[Insert 4 More Colleges]||[Insert Type]|
There are several healthcare options near Drexel Heights, including El Rio Health Southwest and ApexNetwork Physical Therapy.
Here are four healthcare options in the area:
- El Rio Health Southwest: This healthcare facility provides a range of services, including primary care, dental care, and behavioral health services. They focus on providing comprehensive and affordable healthcare to the community.
- ApexNetwork Physical Therapy: If you’re in need of physical therapy services, ApexNetwork Physical Therapy is a great option. They have a team of experienced therapists who can help you recover from injuries or manage chronic pain.
- Carbon Health Urgent Care Campbell: For urgent medical needs, Carbon Health Urgent Care Campbell is available. They offer convenient walk-in appointments and provide high-quality urgent care services.
- NextCare Urgent Care: Another option for urgent care is NextCare Urgent Care. They have a team of skilled healthcare professionals who can treat a wide range of non-life-threatening conditions.
With these healthcare options nearby, you can rest assured that you’ll have access to quality medical care in the Drexel Heights area.
Looking for a place to live in Drexel Heights, AZ? The housing market offers a range of options to suit your needs and budget.
According to RentCafe, the average rent for an apartment in Drexel Heights is $1,137 per month. The average apartment size is 748 square feet, and rental prices range from $701 to $1,500 per month.
If you’re looking to buy a home, the median sale price in Drexel Heights is $282,000, as reported by Redfin. Some affordable neighborhoods to consider are Dakota Vista, with homes priced between $230,000 and $290,000, and Avenida Obregon, where townhouses are available for around $199,000.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for more luxurious options, neighborhoods like Caballo Road offer homes with four bedrooms and four bathrooms for around $650,000.
The housing market in Drexel Heights provides a variety of choices for prospective residents.
The job market in Drexel Heights, AZ offers a range of opportunities in industries such as healthcare, construction, education, retail, administrative support and waste management services, government, transportation, and manufacturing. Some of the jobs currently in high demand include Bilingual Claims Specialist, Insurance Specialist, Yoga Instructor, Medical Delivery Driver, Nurse Practitioner, Hospitalist ACNP or PA-C, and Water Well Drilling Apprentices. Additionally, there are high-paying jobs available in Drexel Heights, AZ, including Associate Attorney, Superintendent, and Senior Engineer. To explore more job opportunities and companies hiring in Drexel Heights, you can check job search websites like Indeed.com and Glassdoor.com. The table below provides a summary of the job market in Drexel Heights, AZ.
|Industries||In-demand Jobs||High-paying Jobs|
|Healthcare||Bilingual Claims Specialist, Nurse Practitioner||Associate Attorney, Superintendent|
|Construction||Insurance Specialist, Water Well Drilling Apprentices||Senior Engineer|
|Retail||Medical Delivery Driver|
|Administrative support and waste management services, government, transportation, and manufacturing||Hospitalist ACNP or PA-C|
To use public transportation in Drexel Heights, you can take Bus 2712, which passes through West Roadrunner Road and West Wyoming Street.
Here are a few things you should know about public transportation in Drexel Heights:
- Bus 2712 is a convenient option for getting around Drexel Heights. It provides transportation to various destinations within the area.
- The bus route passes through West Roadrunner Road and West Wyoming Street.
- Public transportation can be a cost-effective and environmentally-friendly way to travel in Drexel Heights. It can help reduce traffic congestion and save on fuel costs.
- Taking the bus allows you to relax and let someone else do the driving.
- Using public transportation in Drexel Heights can also be a great way to explore the surrounding areas. You can easily access nearby attractions like Saguaro National Park.
- Public transportation provides a convenient way to get to downtown Tucson and other destinations.
The current sales tax rate in Drexel Heights, AZ is 6.1%. This means that for every dollar you spend on taxable items in the area, you will be charged an additional 6.1 cents in sales tax.
It’s important to keep this in mind when budgeting for your move to Drexel Heights. Additionally, the state income tax brackets in Arizona range from 2.59% to 4.5% depending on your income bracket. This means that a portion of your income will be subject to state income tax.
It’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with these tax rates and factor them into your financial planning. If you have any questions about property taxes or other tax-related matters, you can contact the Pima County Assessor’s office for assistance.
Weather and Climate
Weather in Drexel Heights, AZ can be quite hot, with average high temperatures reaching 100°F in July. The hot desert climate makes summers in Drexel Heights scorching, so be prepared for the heat.
Winters, on the other hand, are mild with average high temperatures around 66°F in January. The coldest month is December, when temperatures can drop to an average low of 39°F.
You’ll definitely need to pack your summer clothes to stay comfortable during the hot months, but don’t forget to bring a jacket for the cooler winter evenings.
The weather in Drexel Heights offers a stark contrast between the hot summers and mild winters, allowing you to enjoy a variety of outdoor activities throughout the year.
Pros and cons
Now let’s talk about the pros and cons of living in Drexel Heights, Arizona.
When it comes to the pros, one of the standout features is the availability of fast internet, which is crucial in today’s digital age. Additionally, while property taxes may be high, this can often be offset by the quality of services and amenities provided in the area.
However, it’s important to note that Drexel Heights does have some potential drawbacks. The region has a high tornado risk and is prone to severe storms, which can be a concern for some residents. Moreover, there is also a high risk of wildfires in the area.
It’s essential to take these factors into consideration when deciding if Drexel Heights is the right place for you.
Bars and Restaurants
If you’re looking for a great dining experience in Drexel Heights, you’ll find a variety of bars and restaurants to choose from. Here are some options to consider:
- Tania’s Flour Tortillas Mexican: This highly-rated Mexican restaurant offers homemade dishes that are sure to satisfy your cravings. Customers have particularly enjoyed their rice and hard shell tacos.
- Karichimaka Restaurant: Known for its friendly and attentive service, this Mexican and Steakhouse establishment is a popular choice. It was even recommended during the 2022 employment crisis, showcasing its quality and value.
- Little Mexico Steakhouse: If you’re in the mood for a great steak and a lively atmosphere, this Mexican and Steakhouse restaurant is worth a visit. Customers rave about the food and the bar’s vibrant ambiance.
These are just a few of the options available in Drexel Heights. Whether you’re in the mood for Mexican cuisine or a juicy steak, you’re sure to find a restaurant that suits your taste buds.
Things to do
Looking for activities to do in Drexel Heights? You’re in luck! This vibrant community offers a variety of attractions and experiences for everyone to enjoy. Start your exploration by visiting the top six activities in Drexel Heights.
From cultural experiences to outdoor adventures, there’s something for everyone. Immerse yourself in the local culture and discover the diverse attractions this area has to offer. Whether you’re looking for entertainment options or outdoor activities, Drexel Heights has it all.
And don’t forget to check out the city guides from Arizona, which provide insights into nearby cities like Mesa, Chandler, Glendale, Scottsdale, and Tucson. With so much to see and do, you’ll never run out of things to explore in Drexel Heights.
Explore the best neighborhoods in Drexel Heights, Arizona and discover the vibrant communities that offer a range of amenities and affordable housing options. Whether you’re a nature enthusiast, looking for a family-friendly atmosphere, or seeking a neighborhood close to the city, Drexel Heights has something for everyone. Here are some of the top neighborhoods to consider:
|Mission West||Parks, trails, schools||Single-family homes|
|Las Palomas||Community pool, parks||Townhomes, condos|
|Salida del Sol||Shopping, dining||Apartments, duplexes|
In these neighborhoods, you can enjoy the beauty of the surrounding mountains, access to parks and hiking trails, and a variety of amenities such as community pools and shopping centers. Plus, you’ll find a range of housing options to suit your needs, from single-family homes to apartments and townhomes. Whether you’re starting a family or looking for a peaceful retreat, Drexel Heights has the perfect neighborhood for you.
If you’re considering moving to Drexel Heights, AZ, you’re in for a treat! This community has a lot to offer, with its diverse population, stunning natural beauty, and unique blend of urban and natural environments.
The cost of living in Drexel Heights is reasonable, and the crime rate is relatively low. Additionally, the area’s economy and education options are worth exploring.
Whether you’re a nature lover or a foodie, Drexel Heights has something for everyone. You’ll be living in a place where the saguaro cacti sway and the desert wildlife play.
So, pack your bags and get ready for an adventure in this hidden gem of Arizona!