Imagine finding yourself in the charming suburb of Flowing Wells, nestled in the heart of Pima County, Arizona. As you stroll through the streets, you can’t help but notice the unique challenges this community faces. With a poverty rate higher than the national average and lower educational attainment, Flowing Wells struggles with financial hardship.
However, the lower cost of living and the inviting atmosphere make it an enticing place to call home. In this article, we’ll explore the pros and cons of moving to Flowing Wells, AZ, so you can make an informed decision about this vibrant community.
- Flowing Wells has a relatively high poverty rate, with 1 in every 4 residents living below the poverty line.
- The educational attainment in Flowing Wells is lower compared to the national average, with only 81% of adults having a high school diploma and 12% having a bachelor’s degree.
- The cost of living in Flowing Wells is lower than the national average, with median home value, income, and rent all significantly lower.
- Flowing Wells has limited job opportunities due to lower educational attainment, and the unemployment rate is higher than the national rate.
The population of Flowing Wells, Arizona in 2020 was 15,657. The racial makeup of the area was 84.2% White, 0.9% Black or African American, 1.5% Native American, 0.7% Asian, and 3.6% from two or more races. If you’re considering moving to Flowing Wells, you’ll be joining a diverse community with a significant white population. The racial diversity adds to the vibrant culture and experiences that you can expect in the area.
Flowing Wells is located in Pima County, Arizona, and is a suburb of Tucson. The area covers 3.8 square miles and has a population density of 4,453.40/sq mi. With a population of 15,657, Flowing Wells offers a close-knit community environment where you can connect with your neighbors and build lasting relationships.
When it comes to language and education, about 67.38% of Flowing Wells residents speak only English, while 32.62% speak other languages. Spanish is the most spoken non-English language, with 30% of the population speaking it. In terms of educational attainment, Flowing Wells has a high school graduation rate of 81.63% among white people and a bachelor’s degree rate of 16.6% among Asian people.
Moving to Flowing Wells will provide you with the opportunity to join a diverse community and experience a rich cultural tapestry. Whether you’re interested in educational opportunities, connecting with people from different backgrounds, or enjoying the close-knit community atmosphere, Flowing Wells offers a unique and welcoming environment.
Cost of Living
The cost of living in Flowing Wells, Arizona is 12% lower than the national average. This means that you can save a significant amount of money on your everyday expenses compared to other parts of the country.
The median home value in Flowing Wells is $62,000, which is lower than the national median of $204,900. This makes it more affordable to purchase a home in the area. If you prefer to rent, the typical renter in Flowing Wells spends $851 a month on housing, which is lower than the national median monthly rent of $1,023.
In addition to housing, other expenses such as transportation and healthcare are also more affordable in Flowing Wells. The estimated annual transportation cost for a single person is $9,490, similar to the national average. As for healthcare, the average healthcare costs for a single adult in Flowing Wells are $4,978 per year, lower than both the state and national averages.
Overall, living in Flowing Wells allows you to enjoy a lower cost of living, providing you with more financial flexibility.
Crime rates in Flowing Wells, Arizona are higher than the national average, making it important to prioritize safety in the area. Here are some key points to consider:
- Flowing Wells has a crime rate that is 77% higher than the national average, with violent crimes being 91% higher than the national average.
- The chances of becoming a victim of crime in Flowing Wells are 1 in 25, making it less safe than 93% of cities in the United States.
Year over year, crime in Flowing Wells has decreased by 6%, but it is still crucial to take necessary precautions.
- Flowing Wells ranks in the 22nd percentile for safety, meaning that 78% of cities are safer and only 22% are more dangerous.
- The rate of crime in Flowing Wells is 42.56 per 1,000 residents during a standard year.
Considering these statistics, it is clear that safety should be a top priority for those living in or moving to Flowing Wells. Taking measures such as securing your home, being aware of your surroundings, and getting involved in community safety initiatives can help create a safer environment for everyone.
Considering the current economic state, Flowing Wells has a higher unemployment rate compared to the national average. With an unemployment rate of 7.1%, Flowing Wells surpasses the national rate by 51%.
This high unemployment rate is a result of limited job opportunities in the area, primarily due to lower educational attainment. Flowing Wells has a lower percentage of adults with a high school diploma, standing at 81% compared to the national average of 87.7%. Additionally, only 12% of adults in Flowing Wells hold a bachelor’s degree, further contributing to the limited job prospects.
It is important to note that higher educational attainment can lead to improved job security and better employment opportunities. The financial hardship that many residents of Flowing Wells face is also influenced by the lower median income in the area, which is $34,581, 49% lower than the national average.
These economic factors highlight the challenges faced by individuals in Flowing Wells when it comes to finding stable employment and improving their financial situations.
If you’re looking for quality education in Flowing Wells, there are public schools operated by the Flowing Wells Unified School District, including:
- Emily Meschter Early Learning Center
- Centennial Elementary School
- Homer Davis Elementary School
- Laguna Elementary School
- Flowing Wells Junior High School
These schools provide a comprehensive education for students from early learning to junior high.
The Flowing Wells Unified School District is committed to ensuring that every student receives a high-quality education.
The schools in Flowing Wells offer a range of programs and extracurricular activities to enhance the learning experience. Students have access to dedicated teachers who are passionate about education and strive to help each student reach their full potential.
Additionally, the district provides support services to meet the diverse needs of its students. This includes special education programs, English language learners support, and counseling services.
When it comes to healthcare, you’ll find healthcare centers like Flowing Wells Family Health Center, which provides medical services to patients regardless of their ability to pay. This federally funded health center offers family practice, outreach, and women’s health services. In addition to Flowing Wells Family Health Center, there is a new health center opening soon at 1324 W. Prince Road to serve the residents of Flowing Wells. Having access to healthcare facilities is essential, especially in a community like Flowing Wells, where the poverty rate is 25.1%, significantly higher than the national average.
To give you a better idea of the healthcare situation in Flowing Wells, here is a table outlining some key information:
|Healthcare in Flowing Wells|
|Number of Physicians||259 per 100,000 population (higher than the national average of 210 per 100,000 people)|
|Flowing Wells Family Health Center||Provides medical services regardless of ability to pay|
|New Health Center Opening Soon||Located at 1324 W. Prince Road|
|Other Hospitals||Check out Yelp for a list of hospitals near Flowing Wells|
Having access to healthcare centers is crucial for the well-being of the community. Flowing Wells may have its challenges, but having healthcare centers like Flowing Wells Family Health Center ensures that residents can receive the medical care they need, regardless of their financial situation.
The housing market in Flowing Wells, AZ has seen a 10.5% increase in median home prices compared to last year, with the average home size being 1,248 sq. ft. This indicates a growing demand for homes in the area.
If you’re considering moving to Flowing Wells, here are some key points to consider:
- Flowing Wells is an affordable neighborhood, with a median house price of $44,466 in some areas.
- There are also more expensive neighborhoods in Flowing Wells, with median house prices ranging from $272,079 to $276,286.
- The Flowing Wells housing market is somewhat competitive, scoring 57 out of 100, suggesting that there is some demand for homes in the area.
- The average Flowing Wells house price was $293K last month, showing a significant increase of 50.3% since last year.
- The housing market in Flowing Wells offers a variety of options in terms of size and price range, making it possible to find a home that fits your needs and budget.
Considering the current state of the housing market in Flowing Wells, it may be a good time to explore your options and consider making a move to this growing community.
You should explore the job market in Flowing Wells to find potential employment opportunities. Flowing Wells, located in Pima County, Arizona, offers a range of job options in various industries such as utilities, manufacturing, professional services, information, government, transportation, wholesalers, real estate, finance, insurance, healthcare, other services, retail, education, construction, hospitality, and entertainment. Some of the current job openings in Flowing Wells include positions like Speech Language Pathologist Assistant (SLPA), Assisted Living Manager, Member Account Representative, Loader/Unloader, Female Drug Screening Representative, Warehouse Package Handler, Customer Sales Representative, Eligibility Interviewer, and LPN – Private Duty Nurse.
To give you a clearer picture, here’s a table showcasing the most common job groups in Flowing Wells:
|Job Groups||Number of People|
|Office & Administrative Support Occupations||1,030|
|Building & Grounds Cleaning & Maintenance Occupations||1,012|
As you can see, Flowing Wells offers a diverse range of job opportunities, from office and administrative support roles to building and maintenance occupations, as well as management positions. Exploring the job market in Flowing Wells can lead you to potential employment opportunities that align with your skills and interests. Keep in mind that higher educational attainment can improve your job prospects in Flowing Wells. With determination and the right qualifications, you can find a fulfilling career in this vibrant community.
To access public transportation in Flowing Wells, take advantage of Sun Tran buses or Flix Bus services that operate in the area. Here are four reasons why utilizing these services can have a positive impact on your life:
- Convenience: With Sun Tran buses and Flix Bus services available, you can easily navigate Flowing Wells and its surrounding areas. No need to worry about finding parking or dealing with traffic; simply hop on a bus and let someone else do the driving.
- Affordability: Public transportation is a cost-effective option, especially if you’re on a tight budget. Sun Tran buses and Flix Bus services offer affordable fares, allowing you to save money that can be used for other necessities or experiences.
- Environmental Sustainability: By opting for public transportation, you’re making a conscious choice to reduce your carbon footprint. Using buses instead of cars helps to decrease air pollution and alleviate traffic congestion, contributing to a greener and healthier community.
- Community Connection: Public transportation provides an opportunity to connect with and engage with your fellow community members. You might strike up a conversation with a friendly neighbor or meet someone new who shares your interests. Public transportation fosters a sense of camaraderie and promotes a stronger community bond.
The sales tax rate in Flowing Wells, Arizona is 8.7%, which is higher than the national average. When you make a purchase in Flowing Wells, you will need to factor in this higher rate. It’s important to be aware of this when budgeting for your expenses.
The sales tax rate can affect the overall cost of living in the area. While the cost of living in Flowing Wells is already lower than the national average, the higher sales tax rate can impact your budget even further. It’s essential to consider this when comparing prices and making financial decisions.
Additionally, the higher sales tax rate may also affect the local economy. It could potentially impact consumer spending and businesses in the area. However, it’s worth noting that the sales tax rate in Flowing Wells is just one aspect of the overall tax situation. It’s important to consider other taxes, such as property taxes and income taxes, when evaluating the tax burden in Flowing Wells.
Weather and Climate
Flowing Wells, Arizona experiences a desert climate with hot summers and mild winters. In the summer, the average high temperature in Flowing Wells in July, the hottest month, reaches around 100°F (37.8°C). The winters in Flowing Wells are relatively mild, with an average high temperature in December, the coldest month, of about 66°F (18.9°C). The average low temperature during this time is around 39°F (3.9°C). Flowing Wells does not receive much snow, with an average of 0 inches per year.
With such a climate, you can expect hot and dry summers, making it essential to stay hydrated and protect yourself from the sun. The mild winters offer a pleasant break from the scorching heat, allowing for outdoor activities without the extreme cold. It is important to note that even though the winters are mild, temperatures can still drop significantly at night, so it’s advisable to dress in layers.
Overall, Flowing Wells’ desert climate provides a unique experience with its hot summers and mild winters. Whether you enjoy outdoor activities during the summer or prefer a more relaxed winter season, Flowing Wells offers a climate that caters to a variety of preferences.
Pros and Cons
Living in Flowing Wells, Arizona offers a unique climate, with hot summers and mild winters. The summers in Flowing Wells can be quite hot, with temperatures often exceeding 100 degrees Fahrenheit. This means that you can enjoy plenty of sunshine and outdoor activities during the summer months. However, it’s important to stay hydrated and take precautions to protect yourself from the heat.
On the other hand, the winters in Flowing Wells are mild and comfortable. You won’t have to worry about dealing with harsh winter weather or heavy snowfall like in other parts of the country. Instead, you can expect pleasant temperatures that make it enjoyable to spend time outdoors.
While the climate in Flowing Wells may be appealing, it’s important to consider the pros and cons of living in this area. One advantage is the lower cost of living compared to the national average. This means that you may be able to stretch your budget further and enjoy a higher quality of life. However, it’s important to note that the poverty rate in Flowing Wells is higher than the national average, which may impact the overall economic stability of the community.
Additionally, Flowing Wells has a lower educational attainment compared to the national average. This may impact job opportunities and income levels in the area. It’s important to consider these factors when deciding whether Flowing Wells is the right place for you to live.
Bars and Restaurants
If you’re looking for a place to eat or grab a drink in Flowing Wells, you’ll find a variety of bars and restaurants to choose from.
Whataburger is ranked as the number one restaurant in Flowing Wells, offering fast food options that are available 24 hours a day. Their burgers are known to be quite good, although they do have a tendency to occasionally get orders wrong.
Angelos Pizza & Gyros is another popular option, specializing in pizza but currently closed until tomorrow.
If you’re in the mood for some hot dogs, you can check out Hot Dogs El Perron de Obregón, which is located just a short distance away.
Overall, the restaurant experience in Flowing Wells seems to be satisfactory, with Whataburger being a favorite among locals. Whether you’re craving burgers, pizza, or hot dogs, Flowing Wells has something to satisfy your taste buds.
So go ahead and explore the culinary offerings in this Arizona suburb.
Things to Do
When you’re in Flowing Wells, there are plenty of activities for you to enjoy and explore. This suburban town, located in Pima County, Arizona, offers attractions for both residents and tourists. Whether you’re an adventurous traveler or a family looking for a fun day out, Flowing Wells has something for everyone.
One of the best ways to experience the beauty of Flowing Wells is by backpacking through the lush, green desert. You can immerse yourself in nature, taking in the sights and sounds of the mighty-covered mountains that surround the area. If you prefer a more leisurely pace, you can take a stroll along the scenic trails and enjoy the tranquility of the outdoors.
For those who love horses, Flowing Wells offers horseback riding and camping options. You can saddle up and explore the picturesque landscapes on horseback, creating memories that will last a lifetime. If wildlife is your interest, a visit to the Pinal Deer National Wildlife Refuge is a must. You can observe and learn about the diverse range of flora and fauna that call this refuge home.
Whether you’re a nature lover or simply looking for a relaxing day out, Flowing Wells has plenty to offer. So pack your bags and plan a visit to this charming town, where adventure and serenity await.
Explore the best neighborhoods in Flowing Wells, Tucson, and discover the unique charm and amenities they have to offer.
- Christopher Columbus Park: This neighborhood is known for its beautiful park, which offers a peaceful retreat from the hustle and bustle of city life. Take a stroll along the walking trails, have a picnic with family and friends, or enjoy a game of basketball at the park’s courts. It’s the perfect place to relax and unwind.
- Sweetwater Wetlands Park: If you’re a nature lover, this neighborhood is for you. Immerse yourself in the serene beauty of the wetlands and observe the diverse wildlife that calls it home. Enjoy birdwatching, photography, or simply taking a leisurely walk along the nature trails. It’s a hidden gem that will make you feel connected to the natural world.
- Brewed Awakening: This vibrant neighborhood is known for its thriving coffee culture. Start your day right with a cup of freshly brewed coffee from one of the local cafes. Indulge in the aroma and rich flavors as you relax and catch up with friends or work on your laptop. It’s the perfect spot for coffee enthusiasts.
- KG’s Westside Cafe: This neighborhood is a food lover’s paradise. Head to KG’s Westside Cafe and treat yourself to a hearty meal. From classic American dishes to delicious comfort food, you’ll find something to satisfy your taste buds. Enjoy the cozy atmosphere and friendly service as you savor every bite.
These neighborhoods in Flowing Wells, Tucson, offer a variety of experiences and amenities that cater to different interests. Whether you’re looking for outdoor activities, a peaceful retreat, a vibrant coffee scene, or a culinary adventure, you’ll find it all in these neighborhoods.
Congratulations! You’ve reached the end of this article about moving to Flowing Wells, AZ.
As you’ve learned, Flowing Wells faces challenges in terms of demographics, socioeconomic factors, and education. However, don’t let this discourage you.
Despite these obstacles, the community in Flowing Wells is resilient and full of potential. By embracing the opportunities it offers and working together, you can help create a brighter future for yourself and for this vibrant suburb of Tucson.
Remember, where there’s a will, there’s a way.